You are required to obtain permission from Queensland Rail to take over dimensional road loads across Queensland Rail infrastructure under the Transport Infrastructure (Rail) Regulation 2006. Typical examples of such loads are houses, earthmoving equipment, transformers, machinery or agricultural equipment.
If a road load exceeds any of the requirements listed below, and it is required to transport such load across Queensland Rail infrastructure, you must apply for permission in the form of a permit or a confirmation issued by Network Access’ Over Dimensional Road Loads Section. This permit or confirmation ensures safe travel over all Queensland Rail infrastructure and the type of authority will depend on the type of load being transported and the required route.
For more information of the legislative requirements, view the Transport Infrastructure (Rail) Regulation 2006 available on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel (new window) web site.
If you would like more information please see the Frequently Asked Questions.
Approval must be obainted where
It is necessary to drive a vehicle that has the following over-weight dimensions:
- the total of all axle masses for the vehicle is over 105 tonnes
- the axle mass for any single axle of the vehicle is over 12 tonnes or
- the total of all axle masses for any 9m of the vehicle’s length is over 48 tonnes
It is necessary to drive a vehicle that has the following over-length dimensions:
- the vehicle is longer than 35 metres on a railway crossing
It is necessary to drive a vehicle that has the following over-width dimensions:
- the vehicle is wider than 5.5 metres wide; or the distance between the posts of a height barrirer for the crossing.
A person must not drive a vehicle on a railway crossing if the vehicle is higher than:
- a height barrier for the crossing; or
- if the crossing is at a place where the SEQ electrified track crosses an access road - 4.1m; or
- if the crossing is at a place where the SEQ electrified track crosses another road - 5m; or
- if the crossing is at a place where another electrified railway track crosses an access road - 4.3m; or
- otherwise - 5.2m.
Application Requiring a Protection Officer
- A protection officer is required in addition to a permit, dependent upon the particular conditions of the crossing and road load.
If you would like more information please see the Frequently Asked Questions. If you would like to submit an application, please view the Application Process, call 07 - 3066 6704 or 3066 5518, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Overdimensional Authority Application Process
- Step 1: Download the application to move over-dimensional road loads form.
- Step 2: Complete application form and email to email@example.com.
- Step 3: Our team will email back a confirmation or permit four working days prior to the load being transferred.
- Step 4: It is then your responsibility to provide your driver and the Police with a copy of this authority. The Police will require three working days notice.
Ensure that you read the top of the form before completing the form in full. Please email your completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attached Microsoft Word Document. Handwritten, scanned or PDF Overdimensional Road Loads applications cannot be processed therefore cannot be excepted.
Overdimensional loads application forms