Queensland Rail is undertaking a restoration of the iconic Shorncliffe station, to return the station to its original appearance.
The current station building is deteriorating faster than maintenance can prevent and extensive works are required to preserve this historic icon.
The restoration works will involve, among other activities:
- Moving the main station building from its current site to facilitate foundation repairs
- Removal of all asbestos materials and repair of extensive water and termite damage
- Replacing the existing roofing
- Renewing the interior fit out of the building
- Building a new separate staff operations facility
- Restoration of the air raid shelter.
These works will enhance the historic character of the station and are designed to preserve the station and its place in the local history of Shorncliffe for future generations.
Additionally, in line with modern day safety and security requirements, further works undertaken at the station will include the replacement of lighting and security cameras and the installation of new fencing.
The Shorncliffe station restoration will take around 18-24 months to complete, weather and construction conditions permitting. The following key milestones provide a rough guide for project timings:
• End July 2017: Removal of trees and timber footbridge during scheduled track closure
• November – December 2017: Establish temporary station ticket office and platform entrance. Close eastern end of existing station building and commence foundation investigation works. Start early works for establishment of train crew facility.
• Early – mid-2018: Construct train crew facility, move train crew into new facility and close remainder of station building
• Mid-2018 – mid-2019: Demolition and renovation works for the station building
• Mid-2019: Open new station building to the public.
Keeping you informed
Queensland Rail is committed to keeping stakeholders and the community informed.
For more information, contact Queensland Rail’s customer feedback team on 13 16 17, 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Works notice - temporary carpark closure - November 2017 (PDF
Works notice - temporary facilities installation - November 2017 (PDF
Works notice - October 2016 (PDF
Project update and works notice - July 2017 (PDF
Project update - Station design and footbridge removal - June 2017 (PDF
Project update - feedback investigations (PDF
- Shorncliffe timber footbridge removal - June 2017 (PDF | DOC)
- Shorncliffe timber footbridge - community consultation - October 2016 (PDF | DOC)
- Shorncliffe station restoration fact sheet - March 2016 (PDF | DOC)
- Shorncliffe station restoration construction fact sheet - March 2016 (PDF | DOC)
- Shorncliffe station restoration footbridge fact sheet - March 2016 (PDF | DOC)
- Shorncliffe station restoration history and restoration fact sheet - March 2016 (PDF | DOC)
- Shorncliffe station restoration train crew facility fact sheet - March 2016 (PDF | DOC)
- Shorncliffe station restoration vegetation fact sheet - March 2016 (PDF | DOC)
Final concept designs (July 2017)
- Shorncliffe station final concept design 1 (PDF)
- Shorncliffe station final concept design 2 (PDF)
- Shorncliffe station final concept design 3 (PDF)
- Shorncliffe station final concept design 4 (PDF)