Queensland Rail is replacing a series of rail bridges on the Ipswich to Rosewood line, in South East Queensland.
As part of this project, ageing timber bridges will be replaced with steel and concrete structures to improve reliability, operational safety and efficiency of services on the rail corridor.
Five timber rail bridges in the City of Ipswich – all between 100 and 150 years old – will be upgraded or replaced:
- Kavanagh Road East, Thagoona – replacement
- Karrabin – replacement
- Guilfoyles Gully, Walloon – replacement
- Rosewood – replacement
- Sadliers Crossing – upgrade of timber approaches.
Queensland Rail investigated a range of possible bridge replacement options for each location. Investigations also considered hydrology modelling, bridge height clearances and constructability issues.
All of the bridges will be constructed on their existing alignment. Final bridge installations will be scheduled to occur over a 48-hour period, with a temporary closure of the rail line and around the clock construction works. The old timber bridges will be removed at this time.
Queensland Rail appointed contractor JF Hull Holdings to undertake four of the bridge replacements: Karrabin, Guilfoyles Gully, Kavanagh Road East and Rosewood. Replacement of the timber approaches on the fifth bridge at Sadliers Crossing is being undertaken by Doval Constructions (Qld) Ltd.
Construction commenced in mid-2015.
Bridge replacements have been programmed to coordinate with Ipswich City Council's flood mitigation works.
Replacement of all bridges is scheduled to be completed by mid to late 2016, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Where possible, the overall program schedule has been planned to deliver works simultaneously at multiple sites for greater efficiency, to minimise line closures, disruption to passenger services and impacts on the community.
Safety is the number one priority for Queensland Rail. In order to provide a safe work environment for workers and the community, public access to areas near the construction sites will be restricted during works.
Queensland Rail is engaging with potentially affected residents and nearby stakeholders to understand the project impacts and minimise disruption to the community during construction.
Construction impacts for nearby residents may include access, night works, vehicle movements and noise, such as reversing beepers, piling works and materials delivery.
Residents will be given advance notification of periods of heightened activity, temporary access routes and property restrictions, excessive noise or night works, in accordance with Queensland Rail's community engagement guidelines.
Queensland Rail apologises for any inconvenience and thanks stakeholders and the local community for their cooperation during these important works.
Keeping you informed
Queensland Rail is committed to keeping stakeholders and the community informed about the timber bridge replacement program on the Western Corridor – Ipswich to Rosewood line.
For more information about this project, contact Queensland Rail on 13 16 17, 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or email email@example.com.
- SEQ Timber Bridges Fact Sheet 1 (October 2014) PDF | DOC
- SEQ Timber Bridges Fact Sheet 2 (June 2015) PDF | DOC
- SEQ Timber Bridges Fact Sheet 3 Sadliers Crossing (July 2015) PDF | DOC
- SEQ Timber Bridges Fact Sheet 4 Construction Update (October 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 1 Sadliers Crossing (July 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 2 Thagoona Rosewood (August 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 3 Guilfoyles Gully (August 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 4 Karrabin (August 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 5 Guilfoyles Gully (September 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 6 Sadliers Crossing (October 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 7 Thagoona (October 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 8 Sadliers Crossing (November 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 9 Sadliers Crossing Road Closure (November/December 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 10 Thagoona (December 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 11 Guilfoyles Gully, Karrabin (December 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 12 Walloon Site Office (December 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 13 Sadliers Crossing (December 2015) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 14 Sadliers Crossing Road Closure (January 2016) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 15 Sadliers Crossing (March/April 2016) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 16 Sadliers Crossing (April 2016) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 17 Rosewood (April 2016) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 18 Guilfoyles Gully (April 2016) PDF | DOC
- Works Notice 19 Sadliers Crossing Road Closure (May/June 2016) PDF | DOC