Queensland Rail is upgrading Dakabin station to improve accessibility and make it easier and safer for customers to use.
The works are part of the
Queensland Rail Station Accessibility Upgrade Program which focuses on providing greater accessibility to rail services.
The station upgrade is designed to achieve independent accessibility, meaning that all train platforms can be accessed independently via paths, ramps or lifts, without the need to use stairs.
Features of the upgrade include:
- a new pedestrian footbridge with lift access
- raised section of platform encompassing the core zone and assisted boarding point
- improved accessible parking
- upgraded hearing augmentation loops and tactile platform surfaces
- upgraded security cameras and lighting around the core zone
- new wayfinding and platform signage around the core zone.
A new multi-storey parking facility will replace the existing Thompson Road carpark and will be delivered concurrently with the accessibility upgrade. Queensland Rail is working with the Department of Transport and Main Roads on the upgrade of the precinct including parking and a new bus interchange.
Temporary closure of Thompson Road for safe construction (from Monday 28 September 2020 to mid-2021)
For the safety of the public and our workers, Thompson Road will be closed to through traffic, at the station precinct, from Monday 28 September for a period of up to nine months.
During this road closure, traffic management will be in place to direct road users and pedestrians around the closure. The alternative route for through traffic will be via Ann Street, Marsden Road and Alma Road.
Vehicle turnaround facilities and customer drop-off (Kiss'n'Ride) zones will be provided on Thompson Road at each end of the closure. Safe north-south pedestrian access will be maintained.
Customer access to the station will be maintained during the road closure and the station will continue to operate throughout construction, except during planned track closures (notified separately).
For more information, see the notification - under 'Works notices' in the 'Resources' section, below.
Changed parking conditions (effective June 2020)
To enable construction of the station's new multi-storey carpark, the Thompson Road (main) carpark will be closed from Monday 15 June 2020 for the duration of works.
In addition, the Narangba Road 'slip road' and western carpark will be closed (affecting approximately 20 parking spaces) on a rolling basis between mid-June and September 2020 for the location and operation of cranes and heavy equipment to safely access the platform 2 work zone.
See the station poster under 'Project information' in the 'Resources' section, below.
While we recognise these changes impact customer parking, they are necessary to safely deliver the upgrade.
In partnership with Queensland Rail, MBRC has made available 150 weekday parking spaces in nearby Bob Brock Park. While this temporary arrangement will help alleviate some customer parking impacts, we encourage customers to consider travelling from other stations with greater parking capacity, where possible.
We will continue to collaborate with the Department of Transport and Main Roads, TransLink and MBRC on alternative transport and customer parking arrangements.
Artist's impressions and concept designs for Dakabin station are available in the ‘Resources’ section, below.
Feedback can be provided by contacting the project team via phone, email or mail - 'Enquiries' section, below.
For regular email updates on the station upgrade, join the project’s
Phone: 1800 722 203
Station Upgrade Project
PO Box 1429
Brisbane QLD 4001
- Project update (September 2020) PDF | DOC
- Project update (August 2020) PDF | DOC
- Project update (July 2020) PDF | DOC
- Project update (June 2020) PDF
- Station poster - Tree removal, Thompson Road precinct (late June 2020) PDF
- Station poster - Thompson Road and Narangba Road carpark closures (from 15 June 2020) PDF
- Station poster - Thompson Road carpark closure, duration of works (from early June 2020) PDF
- Project update (May 2020) PDF | DOC
- Station poster - closure of pedestrian path to Dakabin State High School (from 11 May 2020) PDF
- Project update (March 2020) PDF | DOC
- Project update (December 2019) PDF | DOC
- Station poster - project overview (December 2019) PDF
- Project update (October 2018) PDF | DOC
- Dakabin station accessibility upgrade flyer (May 2018) PDF |
- NEW 2020 - Dakabin station concept design - aerial view PDF
- NEW 2020 - Dakabin station concept design - platform view PDF
- Superseded 2019 - Dakabin station concept design - aerial view PDF
- Superseded 2019 - Dakabin station concept design - platform view PDF
- Superseded 2019 - Dakabin station concept design - street view PDF
- Dakabin station artist's impression - aerial view
- Dakabin station artist's impression - platform view
- Weekend (Sunday) works (25 October and 1 November 2020) PDF | DOC
- Temporary road closure - Thompson Road (28 September 2020 to mid-2021) PDF | DOC
- Weekend works - footbridge installation (29-30 August 2020) PDF | DOC
- Weekend and after hour works (August 2020) PDF | DOC
- Weekend works (30 and 31 May 2020) PDF | DOC
- Weekend works (2 and 3 May 2020) PDF | DOC
- After hours works - scheduled track closure (February 2020) PDF | DOC
- Night works - overhead equipment (July 2019) PDF | DOC
- Energex works (station poster) - Narangba Road reserve (30 June - 3 July 2019) PDF | DOC
- Night works - overhead equipment (June 2019) PDF | DOC
- Platform works (April - May 2019) PDF | DOC
- Temporary carpark closure (western) (May 2019) PDF| DOC
- Night works - overhead equipment (March 2019) PDF | DOC
- Dakabin station accessibility upgrade feedback form