The Central station upgrade program will modernise the station and improve accessibility and functionality throughout.
The first stage of the refurbishment - the back of house facilities including offices, customer communication and first aid areas - was completed in April 2017.
The upgrade program was put on hold in 2018 ahead of the Commonwealth Games to ensure the station was fully operational for the event.
A range of front of house works were delivered ahead of the Games which included cleaning, painting, new lighting and fans, tile repairs, column cladding, lift and escalator maintenance, as well as replacement of roof sheeting on the outer concourse.
Queensland Rail has revised the delivery strategy, and in July 2019 new timelines were announced for the next stage of upgrades at Central station.
Features of the upgrade include:
- the replacement of lifts to platforms 1-6
- the replacement of both outer concourse escalators to Anzac Square Arcade
- overhead line equipment replacement on platforms 1-4
- the replacement of the outer concourse lift to Ann Street and Anzac Square Arcade
- main platform upgrade works including ceiling, wall and floor treatments and lighting, level entry boarding, extended cover on all platforms, new passenger information displays and seating
- the replacement of escalators to platforms 1-6 and the installation of an additional escalator to platforms 3/4.
The replacement of lifts to platforms 1-4 and the replacement of two major escalators connecting Central station to the Anzac Square Arcade are expected to commence in 2020.
Escalator and lift replacement works are expected to continue throughout 2021, as well as the replacement of overhead line equipment on platforms 1-4, which needs to happen before platform raising works.
Work will be staged and occur mainly over weekends and at night in order to reduce customer impact. Lift and escalator replacement works will result in staged outages.
Queensland Rail will work closely with its valued tenants and stakeholders in the Central station precinct, to ensure project impact is managed effectively, and will ensure customers are kept informed of delivery timeframes as this work progresses.
For regular email updates on the station upgrade, join the project's mailing list.
- Phone: 1800 401 944
Central station program
PO Box 1429
Brisbane QLD 4001