Queensland Rail provides operational and technical advice to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) on various developments which adjoin, or potentially impact on current or future operation of, the rail corridor.
This advice is provided under the
Planning Act 2016, by Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure & Planning (DSDIMP)'s, State Assessment & Referral Agency (SARA).
Developers, engineers and/or town planning consultants may contact Queensland Rail prior to lodging a town planning and/or operational works application to seek advice, in order to assist them in meeting the criteria outlined in the State Development Assessment Provisions (SDAP) or for general constructability, operational or technical advice (including level crossing impacts & boundary fencing requirements).
If you require land owner's consent or written Queensland Rail approval in principle for any aspect of your development, please lodge an
Application for Approval in Principle or Land Owner's Consent (PDF).
Application form downloads
- Application for Approval in Principle or Land Owner's Consent (MD-18-279) (PDF)
- Application for Occupational Crossing (MD-14-135) (PDF)
Relevant technical requirements & standards
- MD-19-131 Civil - Design of Road Overbridges (PDF)
- MD-18-322 Civil - Design of Footbridges (PDF)
- MD-20-173 Civil - Non-Queensland Rail Underground Services in Queensland Rail Property (PDF)
- CIVIL-SR-002 Work in or about Queensland Rail property (PDF)
- CIVIL-SR-003 Work adjacent to overhead line equipment (PDF)
- CIVIL-SR-005 Design of buildings over or near railways (PDF)
- CIVIL-SR-008 Protection Screens (PDF)
- CIVIL-SR-012 Collision protection of supporting elements adjacent to railways (PDF)
- CIVIL-SR-014 Design of noise barriers adjacent to railways (PDF)
- QR-C-S3306 - Structure Clearances (electrified lines) (PDF)
Queensland Rail Civil drawings requests
Queensland Rail can release civil drawings, at their discretion, if requested by third parties. To request civil drawings owned by Queensland Rail, an email must be sent to
CivilDrawings@qr.com.au with a detailed explanation as to why the drawings are required and who is requesting them.
Queensland Rail have the right to refuse the release of any civil information and can direct the third party to make a formal Right to Information (RTI) application, if considered appropriate.
Due to safety concerns, security fencing design standards have not been made publicly available. If this information is required, please contact Queensland Rail's Planning & Development team at
Due to holiday closures and extended staff leave over the holiday period, any applications received on or after 20 December, cannot be guaranteed to be reviewed within our standard processing times. This should be taken into consideration when planning for submissions and for overall project program planning.
Note: Information provided on this page and within associated documents is subject to change at any time without notice.