The Rail Industry Worker program went live in March 2013 and has been endorsed by a number of major rail operators across the country. The program is owned and endorsed by the Australasian Railway Association (ARA), of which Queensland Rail is a member, to provide a single national competency management system for everyone working in the rail industry. It meets regulatory requirements and complies with national rail safety law.
By law, everyone working on the Australian rail network must be able to provide proof of competency. This is the best way to reduce the risk of untrained people working on the rail network.
The aim of competency management is to minimise the risk of untrained personnel carrying out any work on the Australian rail network.
If you intend to undertake rail safety work for Queensland Rail or the work you are contracted to perform (which may not be rail safety work) on behalf of Queensland Rail falls within the rail corridor, you will need to apply for a RIW card.
The following contractors must carry Rail Industry Worker identification when working for Queensland Rail and present this (on request) to a Rail Safety Officer/Regulator from the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator or a Queensland Rail representative:
- All contractors undertaking rail safety work, as defined under section 8 of the Rail Safety National Law (Note: there are no exceptions)
- Contractors performing work for Queensland Rail in the rail corridor
Those excluded from carrying Rail Industry Worker identification are:
Contractors who are:
- Working on station buildings with limited to no exposure to the danger zone
- Deliveries to the rail corridor outside the danger zone
- One-off entry to the rail corridor where contractors have completed a Rail Corridor Induction Checklist, are operating under a PO and where it is not reasonably practical to expect the contractor to obtain a RIW card due to the short term nature of their work in the rail corridor.
- External third parties (non-rail related) not contracted by Queensland Rail, such as telecommunications workers
There are no exceptions for rail safety workers.
Current state law requires rail safety workers to ensure:
- They are competent to carry out rail safety work
- They are assessed for competence
- They undertake a medical assessment
- Records of competence / qualifications are maintained
- Each rail safety worker carries identification that enables their competency and training to be checked.
Rail safety workers are people who:
Please refer to Rail Safety National Law ( Section 8 “Meaning of Rail Safety Work”).
Direct all inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ordering Rail Industry Worker Cards
- Removal of Queensland Rail SARC Gap Course Bulletin PDF | DOC
- Protection Officers fact sheet (PDF | DOC)
- Trackside safety course curriculum (PDF | DOC)
- National Track and Civil Competency Matrix released
- Rail Industry Worker Program - Frequently Asked Questions (PDF | DOC)
- Engineering Registration in Queensland (PDF | DOC)
- Types of electrical licenses in Queensland (PDF | DOC)
- Queensland Rail Working in the Electrified Territory Safety Induction Training (PDF | DOC)
- ISN Look up for powerlines PDF DOC
- New and improved Queensland Network Rules and Procedures (QNRP) PDF DOCX
Please note: Due to the organisational specific nature of the Queensland Rail Trackside Safety courses, which also align to national units of competencies, Queensland Rail will only accept enterprise specific courses delivered by our licensed training providers and as outlined in the Trackside Safety Matrix. Units of competence issued by other RTO’s will be recognised, however there is still a requirement for contractors to attend the enterprise specific course/s delivered by the licensed training providers. These providers will issue a ‘Certificate of Attendance’ upon successful completion which contractors will need to upload to enable full role registration within the RIW System.
Rail Industry Worker
For all of your trackside safety training requirements please contact one of our licenced training providers below.